Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Well Done Mr. Barela


On Monday Brian and I celebrated out 7th anniversary. I know 7 years, doesn't seem possible. But here we are, 3 kids, several moves to different towns, change of careers...it has been quite a journey. And it just keeps getting better! We celebrated in style on Monday and the best part it was all a surprise to me! I was told be ready at 5:30, have the kids fed but I didn't need to make dinner for us. At 5:00 the amazing Mr. Barela called me and told me to not worry about picking out an outfit because he would be bringing home something for me to wear (I know!!!) and to pack an overnight bag because we wouldn't be coming home that night...what!?!? I couldn't believe it. Total surprise. And then I started frantically making a list because we have never left the kids overnight, and quickly packed a bag, and finished feeding the kids dinner. Brian came home at 5:15 with a cute, fun dress for me that fit perfect and a pizza for the babysitters (he thought of everything). Giving quick instructions to the babysitter and kisses and hugs to the kids we were out the door at 5:35. I didn't know where we were going until we pulled up to the Hotel Diamond in down town. We've always talked about staying here. I was very excited. We had dinner at our favorite local resturant and then coffee at another local favorite. It was a great night to sit and relax with each other. We talked about what a difference this year was compared to last anniversary. Our sixth anniversary we spent apart; Brian in Sacramento in the NICU with T and me here with K in the hospital and M at home. So very different. Brian got us a nice journal to start writing down what each year was like, big things we remember and how we celebrated another year of marriage. I think it is a great idea and look forward to starting this tradition. We had a yummy breakfast in morning at the hotel and then we were back home by 8:30. Real life quickly started again, but it's funny how I missed the kids in that short period of time.

What I appreciated most about our anniversary wasn't particularly what we did, although it was amazing! It was that Brian took the initiative and planned it all. I didn't have to make any decisions! It was very freeing. So very thankful. Well done Mr. Barela!

No comments: