Friday, March 7, 2008

Destino Conference--From a student's perspective


I (Brian) mentioned in our prayer letter that I would follow up with some more information about the Destino Conference that I oversaw. Because I was both speaking at and directing the conference, it was hard for me to tell how the students were experiencing the conference. I certainly thought it was a great conference, but definitely was biased by my heavy investment in the conference.

Here's some responses from Luis, a student at the University of Florida. It's still so amazing to have a job that enables us to influence students all over the country, not just in California.

What struck you the most about the Destino conference?
The best part of the conference had to be the forge groups. The groups gave us all the opportunity to be encouraged by others and encourage others at the same time. I was able to make great friendships and also be encouraged by people who are going through the same stuff with Destino on their campuses as we are here.

How did the conference serve to unify / give direction to the UF Destino movement?
We were able to be united on the fact that no one is righteous, not even one, no one seeks God, no one does good. It is up to God who is bigger, more powerful, and better than us in every way. He is the one who will bring success to Destino, He is the one who will convict people of His gospel, and He is the one who brings salvation. It is not up to us to work but to allow ourselves to delight in Him and be used by Him. He will bring himself the glory, we just need to let Him use us and rely on His power, not our own. This is His movement and it will move by His Spirit and His will, not ours.

What would you say to the people who contributed money to help your group go
Thank you so much. God used this conference in my life and in the lives of those who went with me. We are now, more than ever, on the same page and ready to really let God work through us so that he might be glorified through Destino. Praise God for he is sovereign and I thank God for providing through those of you who have made this trip possible for us here at UF.

What would you say to someone who is considering going next year?
Do it. It is great experience that you shouldn't miss out on. Go to the conference with no other goal than for God to use it in your life, don't give Him specifics as to how, allow Him to reveal that to you as the time comes. God really used it in my life and it was not just the few days of the conference, it was the days leading up to, during, and after in which he humbled me and taught me a great lesson concerning His sovereignty. Seek God first, the rest will be given to you.


No comments: